There have been recent questions on what we as residents of Lovettsville should be doing with the current pandemic of COVID-19. This week, information was provided in the Mayor’s email with the official websites to follow for the most up to date information. The largest concern has been on social distancing and if businesses should be allowed to remain open. At this time, there has not been any direction from Federal, State or Loudoun County that businesses should close. Continued operations will be up to each individual business owner and the patrons of each establishment. In their latest press release issued yesterday, March 14th, Loudoun County has noted that while some programs are being closed, others will remain open, and they are encouraging us to “shop local.” The Governor of Virginia stated the Commonwealth is not to the point of calling for a mandated quarantine, but he urged residents to avoid bars, restaurants, churches and any other social gathering and to stay home as much as possible. As with anything, please use your personal discretion. If the situation warrants additional protections, the Town of Lovettsville will implement any guidance received from the Virginia Department of Health and Loudoun County.
Following the guidance from the Virginia Department of Health and Loudoun County, we expect everyone to take steps to limit the spread of COVID-19, which include the following:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Avoid non-essential travel.
Below are the recommended links with the most up-to-date information:
- Centers for Disease Control – https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- Virginia Department of Health – http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/surveillance-and-investigation/novel-coronavirus/
- Loudoun County Health and Human Services – https://www.loudoun.gov/5307/Coronavirus
We know that this is a trying time, and that staying home is not possible for everyone. We do, however, ask that you take precautions to protect yourselves and others by social distancing as much as possible.
Effective immediately, all non-essential Council, Commission and Committee meetings scheduled to take place in Town Hall will be cancelled. It will be at the discretion of each Chair-Person to determine if the meeting is essential. The Town Council Meeting on March 26th will continue as planned as we must have a decision on the FY21 Budget and Schedule of Fees, based on our pending deadline from the County.
I will say that the LOVE in Lovettsville continues to shine through as many have been reaching out to friends and neighbors, offering to shop for groceries, and to provide any help as needed. This is a time for us all to come together as a community and I am proud of the way that Lovettsville continues to shine.
As always, please do not hesitate to reach out should you have any questions or concerns.
Thank you again,
Town of Lovettsville, Virginia