Running for Office
Lovettsville’s governing body consists of a Mayor, who is elected directly by Town citizens, and six Town Council Members. The Mayor is elected every two years. Each Town Council Member is elected to a four-year term. The Mayor and Town Council are responsible for setting the legislative policies of the Town. This includes approving an annual budget and capital improvements plan. They also consider land use requests such as re-zonings and conditional use permits.
The next General Election in the Town of Lovettsville will be held on May 5, 2020 and will include races for four positions, including the Mayor (term expiring June 30, 2022) and three Council Member seats (all with terms expiring June 30, 2024). For more information about running for office, please refer to the Virginia Department of Elections document, How to Run for Local Office. This document contains important information about what forms need to be filed and the deadlines for filing.
Voter registration is handled by the Loudoun County Office of Elections and Voter Registration. Important Dates include:
- Voter Registration Deadlines;
- Online – Monday, April 14, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. www.vote.virginia.gov.
- In-person – Monday, April 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- By-Mail – Postmarked no later than April 14, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- Absentee Voting:
- In-person absentee voting opens – Friday, March 20, 2020
- Last day to request ballot be mailed to you – Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- Last day to vote absentee in-person – Saturday, May 2, 2020 (office will be open 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)