Annual Budget Process
The Town Council goes through a rigorous process for developing the annual budget and capital improvement plan. The process starts with the Town Council Annual Retreat to identify priorities for the upcoming fiscal year and beyond. The Town Manager uses this input to develop the Town Manager Recommended Budget which is formally presented to the Mayor and Town Council. This is followed by a number of meetings and a public hearing over several months to discuss the General Fund, Utility Fund, Five-Year Capital Improvement Plan, and Schedule of Rates and Fees.
The Town’s budget is based on the Fiscal Year July 1-June 30. In prior years, the budget was developed between January-June; however, starting in 2018, the Mayor and Town Council will begin the budget process much earlier than normal in order to meet the April 1 deadline for providing the Real Estate Tax Rate to Loudoun County. This requirement is part of a Memorandum of Agreement between the County and most of the towns in Western Loudoun to take over the billing and collection of real estate taxes.
FY 2020 Budget
The Town Manager presented his recommended budget at the Town Council meeting on January 10, 2019:
The Town Council will hold a series of budget-related meetings over the next several months as follows:
- January 17 – Budget Work Session
- January 24 – Budget Work Session
- January 31 – Budget Work Session
- February 7 – Additional Budget Work Session (if needed)
- February 28 – Public Hearing on Proposed FY20 Budget, Capital Improvement Plan, and Rates & Fees
- March 7 – Additional Budget Work Session (if needed)
- March 14 – Adopt FY20 Budget, Capital Improvement Plan, and Rates & Fees
Residents are encouraged to attend the budget meetings and to contact the Town Manager if they have any questions regarding the proposed budget.