Originally known as The German Settlement, Lovettsville was officially established in 1820, incorporated in 1842 and then re-incorporated in 1876, although German settlers, many of whom are buried in the Town’s surrounding cemeteries, were living in the area by the 1730s. To learn more about Lovettsville’s history, please visit the “Our Past” page on this website, the Lovettsville Historical Society website or stop by the Lovettsville Museum at 6 East Pennsylvania Avenue on Saturdays between 1:00pm and 4:00pm.
In 2012, the Lovettsville Historic District was formally listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register. The Lovettsville Historic District encompasses approximately 90 acres that make up the core of the Town and represent the community as it was in the mid-20th century. Click here to visit the Registration Form on the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHS) website containing a list of contributing properties and map showing the extent of the district.