Join the Lovettsville team and apply for our Current Job/Career Openings. The Town of Lovettsville (pop. 2963) is a Council/Manager form of government. The Mayor and six Town Council Members are elected at large. The Town of Lovettsville, originally known as the German Settlement, is a small community in northern Loudoun County, Virginia, with historical roots dating to 1732. Lovettsville is three miles south of Brunswick, Maryland, and less than 35 miles from Winchester, VA, Martinsburg, WV, and Dulles International Airport.
The Town is currently hiring for the following positions:
Lead Operator – Water Plants
The Town of Lovettsville, originally known as the German Settlement, is a small community in northern Loudoun County, Virginia, with historical roots dating to 1732. Lovettsville is three miles south of Brunswick, Maryland, and less than 35 miles from Winchester, VA, Martinsburg, WV, and Dulles International Airport. Lovettsville’s Utility Department consists of five wells, two Water Treatment Facilities, and a .375mgd Wastewater Facility.
The Town of Lovettsville seeks a dedicated, responsive, and experienced individual for the position of Lead Operator- Water Plants. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable water or/and wastewater operator with at least five years’ experience in Water or Wastewater operations. The Lead Operator position involves advanced technical lead in the Town’s Utility Department in the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the water plants, and associated facilities and equipment. Work also involves informing the director of any operational problems, assisting in correcting the problems, monitoring and adjusting treatment processes, coordinating laboratory and process and quality control activities, participation in various maintenance operations and plant projects, monitoring operating reports and records, training subordinate staff, and ensuring safety precautions are adhered to, and serving as a secondary point of contact with vendors, contractors, town residents and the town office staff in relation to Utility Department’s areas of concern.
- Manage daily operations and performance of water plants
- Ensure efficient plant operation and maintenance
- Assist in maintaining and securing proper inventory of parts, chemicals, and needed equipment
- Compile data and information as needed for the utility director
- Assist the utility supervisor in developing and managing the annual budget
- Support and assist the utility supervisor in managing and implementing the department’s safety program
- Support the utility supervisor in all legal and state requirements and compliance challenges facing the town’s utility system and participate in any relevant inspections
- Assist in processing compliance data as needed to the appropriate compliance agencies
- Support operations staff and other functions as identified by the utility director
- Participate in daily operation of water plants and distribution system, as well as trips to courier, water meter readings, on call coverage, and water & sewer line leak repairs
Microsoft office/clerical, operation of motor vehicles/power tools and diagnostic equipment, knowledge of proper handling of chemicals, effective customer service, strong leadership qualities, communication and motivational skills, hand/eye coordination, conflict resolution, teaching skills, and good physical stamina.
- Minimum of 5 years experience as utility operator
- Virginia class 3 water operator, or ability to obtain Virginia class 2 water operator
- Virginia class 3 wastewater operator, or ability to obtain Virginia class 2 water operator
- Confined space training
- HazMat certification
- NIMS ICS-100, IS-700 Compliant (National Incident Command System)
- Related coursework of wastewater studies and operations
Physical Requirements & Work conditions
Ability to lift objects of at least 50 lbs. and climb step and ladders, frequent exposure to toxic chemicals and potentially dangerous equipment, ability to be exposed to extreme weather for long periods, good hand dexterity and eye coordination, ability to sit stand or walk for long periods.
Compensation and Benefits:
Targeted Hiring Range: up to $65,000 annual salary based on experience and qualifications.
The Town offers competitive compensation, affordable health insurance coverage, participation in the Virginia Retirement System, an optional 457(b) retirement plan with a Town matching contribution, flexible spending accounts, voluntary benefits, employee assistance program (EAP), and generous paid time off.